5 warm-up exercises to practice swimming
Warming up is an essential step that you should take before practicing any kind of sport, including swimming. The reason is that, with these exercises, you will prepare your body for physical exhaustion and, consequently, you will reduce the danger of suffering injuries or overloads in both joints and muscles.
Next, we’re going to discover you 5 warm-up exercises to practice swimming that will help you prepare your body before you jump into the pool and start training. Since there are many reasons why you should add swimming to your training, it is essential that you practice a previous warm-up in order to do sports in a healthy way for you and your body.
Types of warm-ups for swimming
Believe it or not, it’s essential to learn to warm up before you swim. As a water sport, swimming offers 2 specific and different types of warm-up that you can do:
- Activate the body out of the water: through the practice of dry exercises to warm up before swimming that will let you prepare the body and before getting into the water. These warm-up exercises before swimming are usually aimed at moving the muscles smoothly and progressively.
- Low-intensity swimming is another warm-up exercise you can do and do in the water. This is a way to get your body ready before you start your frequent training. It is best to move slowly so that your joints become accustomed to the exercise and movements you will then perform more intensely.
It is true that to warm up before swimming you can choose between dry warm-up exercises or exercises in the water that we have pointed out. However, if you are going to train with intensity, it is recommended that you carry out the two types of heating for swimming that will help you to prepare your body to the limit.
Warm-up exercise routine before swimming
But what are the best warm-up exercises for swimming? Now we will discover a series that you can include in your sports routine and, in this way, enjoy a healthy and safe activity.
1. Mobilizes the joints
The first warm-up exercise for swimming is aimed at moving the joints so that they are ready for the next practice in the water. For this, you can do the following:
- Rotations of arms: you are going to have to move the man face back and face forward. You can do it one at a time and then the 2 in unison to achieve a greater warm-up
- Arm Swing: Now you can move your arms across in front of your body and behind you to make them more flexible and agile.
- Leg sway: we are going to do the same with the legs moving one face forward and back and then moving the other.
- Neck movement: you will have to move your neck making rotations to distend the cervicals and avoid pulls.
2. Prepare your muscles for swimming
And now we’re going to be able to get into the water to start warming up the muscles before we start training intensively. As we’ve said, you’ll now have to start swimming very slowly so that your muscles adjust and prepare for the exercise you’re about to do. And, for this reason, the best warm-up exercises in the water for swimming are as follows:
- 100 meters of crawl
- 100 meters of breaststroke
- 100 meters back
- 100 meters of crawl
In total, we will warm up by travelling four hundred metres and allowing our body to move completely. With these easy warm-up exercises you’ll make sure your muscles and joints are perfectly prepared before you start swimming.
Tips for a good warm-up for swimmers
If swimming is your passion, don’t overlook the following tips for warming up before you swim:
- The higher your swimming level, the higher the intensity of your training and, consequently, the more warm-up you need to do.
- Don’t be in a hurry, warming up is an essential part that must be done before any exercise.
- Warming up should not fatigue you, it should just de-enchumise your muscles and start preparing for sport.