Basic Guide to Getting Started in Press Banking
The bench press is one of the most complete exercises to develop arms and pectorals. If you want a stronger and more powerful musculature, take note of the keys to get started in the press bench effectively and safely.
There are different modalities of this exercise but, in general, the press bench consists of lifting a bar, with or without weight discs, having as a point of support the traditional training bench. It requires some physical preparation, especially if you don’t know how much weight to lift in the gym, and before a good command of the technique, to let the bar rise safely avoiding injuries. How to put yourself in a convenient way or how to lift your weight properly are certain essential aspects that we present in this guide to start doing press banking.
The relevance of the initial position in press banking
To place yourself on the bank, well positioned, is a previous condition to make your first press banking. There are many essential details that you must take into consideration, from the grip to the placement of the legs. Don’t be hasty. Only when you are in perfect condition should you remove the bar from its support. Look uniquely at:
- Feet well supported. Lie down and put each of your legs to the side of the bench. Plants must be in full contact with the soil.
- Buttocks stuck to the bank. It is essential to maintain the contact of the buttocks with the support surface at all times. They must be tense, contracted and attached to the bank.
- Scapulas retracted. Your shoulder blades should “pull” face back and face down to look for maximum grip on . For the surface you are on. To achieve the right starting situation you must make a scapular retraction, that is, try to join your shoulder blades.
- Grip closed. To start doing press banking it is essential to know that you must hold the bar tightly and securely and that the grip must always and at all times be closed. The thumb must absolutely surround the bar. With regard to the distance between your two hands, choose one that is comfortable and more or less the same as the one between your shoulders.
How to execute the first banking press: step by step
For a safe lifting, before taking the bar from its support you should do a “check” of your position: one leg on each side of the bench, with your feet well supported, buttocks contracted, scapulas retracted and neck straight but without tension.
Once prepared, it is time to hold the bar firmly, take it out of its support and bring it closer to your chest. If you are starting to do press banking, you must make this first movement of descent, “drawing” with the bar a “J”.
You already have the bar close to your chest (without supporting it) and now it’s time to raise it. Do the “J” movement again, this time in the opposite direction, stretching your arms until the bar is above your head, at eye level. When raising the bar, don’t forget to make 2 important movements:
- Keep your legs steady, stepping hard with the soles and heels of your feet, just as if you were pushing the ground, is what is known as Leg Drive.
- Don’t take your buttocks off the bench and carry your shoulders face back and face down (rotation). This way, your back will arch tenuously bringing the chest closer to the bar and you will protect your lumbars.
- At the end of the lift, the elbows should be blocked and the wrists should be firm to avoid any accident.
Series and sessions to get started in the banking press
During the first sessions of press banca practice posture and movement only with the bar, without added weight. Once you have mastered the basic technique, you can establish your training plan that determines the number of series, repetitions and breaks of the exercise according to your objectives.
If your goal is to increase strength it is convenient to start with long series, five ? eight, more than a few repetitions, two ? five, bearing in mind that you must rest for at least two minutes between series. Only when your muscles become accustomed to the care of the press bench will you be able to propose to increase its intensity.