Discover how to combine swimming with weight training
Weight training is one of the most effective activities when we want to burn fat and achieve more muscle. In the same way, it is well known that one of the most complete sports to achieve a perfect physical preparation is swimming.
That’s why swimming and weight training is one of the most complete activities you can do. When it comes to combining sports, it is essential to do the exercises properly so as not to injure ourselves and achieve the best results in this way. That is why we are going to give you a guide that will let you enjoy a complete swimming and weight training every week.
The combination of swimming and weight training will help you lose weight, gain muscle mass and burn a lot of calories and fat. Don’t limit yourself to machines, either to weights, or to directed classes only. With the right combination of multiple modalities can achieve an unbeatable physical preparation and different results depending on what we seek: gain muscle mass, lose weight, delimit, and so on.
Tips for alternating swimming and bodybuilding
Although swimming is one of the best activities for muscle development, by itself it is not enough if you want to reach certain levels of preparation. Actually, weightlifting training will complement swimming really well. We will try to work muscles involved in this last one, which are many. Even in this way, we will avoid working the biceps and chest too much.
In addition to always and at all times taking into account the opinion of your personal trainer or qualified monitor, we tell you more recommendations to combine swimming and bodybuilding below:
- The best thing is going to be that you schedule swimming sessions every other day to which you train the weights, in this way you will have more energy to swim, you will be able to work harder and burn more calories. If you are looking to alternate the two exercises in each of the sessions, we invite you to swim after the weights.
- For your information, cardio should be done after weight training, not before. This is done to have more energy when lifting weights and get both convenient hormones and changes in blood pH that will lead to greater fat loss. This also reduces the risk of injury.
- When you swim, you will have to combine longer and more stable sessions of simple strokes, such as chest strokes, with harder and faster intervals to butterfly or crawl. This cardiovascular exercise with high intensity intervals is considerably more effective in losing fat and sustaining muscle.
- Also keep in mind that the weights in the water, and separately the strength exercises and swimming are 2 of the most demanding activities in your physical preparation. For this reason, if your training plan is developed in this sense, you will have to take at least one day of rest per week so that fatigue does not appear.
- Don’t forget to do warm-up exercises for swimming, with the goal of preparing your body for pool training. It’s also essential that you learn the technique to start doing weights on your own at home or at the gym.
3 exercises to work with weights in the water
In addition to the exercises to strengthen the arms and legs in the water that we propose, you can begin to perform this easy routine of weights in the water gently and gradually increasing the intensity:
- Grasp a weight with both hands at chest height, scapulas face back and arms outstretched. Swing from side to side moving the shoulders and chest and holding the abdominals in tension.
- Take a weight with each hand and put them on your hip from behind. Lift one and the other at the same pace as you lift your knees. This way you’ll work on all the triceps.
- With two weights, one in each and every hand, lift them to work the biceps. The resistance of the water will make you work harder in both directions, especially if you use special weights for the pool.
Now you have multiple ideas to enjoy the best swimming and weight training. As much separately as introducing them in a joint training of force in the water, it is a question of exercise of high intensity, and whose results are going to be appreciated from the first weeks.