Content of the Article
Did you know that good nutrition can help you prevent injuries? The truth is that it is essential for an athlete to continue with healthy and nutritious eating patterns in order to ensure that his or her body is in perfect condition for the practice of exercise.
That's why we're going to show you how nutrition influences sports injuries so that you'll know everything you can do to make your body fit for sport.
The best nutrition to prevent sports injuries
If your body is nourished, full of vitamins and minerals and also hydrated you will make it strong and work perfectly, right? Since if you also practice sports, it will be essential that you bet on quality eating habits to ensure that your joints, bones and muscles are in good shape.
This is why, if you continue to suffer from poor nutrition and play sports, you may increase the risk of sports injuries, as your body will not be as strong and prepared internally to withstand the exercise you do.
For this reason, we are now going to discover nutrition to prevent sports injuries that you must continue to have if you want to prevent any future illnesses.
The nutrients that every athlete needs
Thanks to the food we eat, our bodies are infested with nutrients that help our bodies function properly and our organs perform at their peak. But if you play sports, you'll need to fill your diet with a certain amount of extra nutrients to avoid the most common gym training injuries, which will help keep your muscles and joints in perfect condition.
Here we leave you with the nutrients you need to avoid injuries and that an athlete needs to have in his diet:
- Iron: iron deficiency is the most frequent lack of iron in athletes and therefore you should include more edible iron in your diet.
- Calcium: eating a diet low in calcium can have an extreme effect on bone health and therefore put us at greater risk of injury.
- Magnesium and Zinc
- Vitamins of the B set
- Carbohydrates: when we have just finished playing sports, our body's glycogen reserves are at very low levels and therefore it is advisable to include carbohydrate intake after training in order to return to restoring this wear and tear.
Examples of groceries to avoid injury
And now we review the list of ideal foods to avoid muscular injuries and that you can start eating from today, always and in all circumstances with the recommendation of your doctor or nutritionist:
- Blue fish
- Pineapple, papaya
- Onion and garlic
- Squid, cuttlefish
- Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, etc.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Pasta, rice, bread
Hydration is essential to prevent injuries
But not only is it essential to eat properly to avoid injuries, but another guideline to prevent sports injuries is that you must have your body properly hydrated to avoid that your body can be damaged by practicing sports. For this reason, every athlete must always and at all times be hydrated throughout his or her training so as not to injure himself or herself and, in addition to this, continue with this advice which will help him or her to be 100 percent healthy:
- Never wait until you are thirsty: thirst is a symptom of dehydration, so sip water throughout your training so that your body is never short of water.
- Distribute the liquid well: another essential trick that can help you to distribute the water well is to drink fifty ml of water before exercise, another fifty ml in half and another fifty ml at the end of training. This way, you can be sure that you have filled your body with water that you have lost during exercise.
- Add a pinch of salt to the water: an ideal trick to replace mineral salts is to add a little salt to the water you drink when you finish your training. You can also choose to have isotonic drinks.
With all these tips you will have your body fully prepared to exercise safely and without danger of injury.