The definitive guide to getting started in triathlon
It’s a tough and exciting discipline that’s getting more and more passionate. It requires essential physical preparation and daily training over weeks. If you’re ready to take on the challenge, take note of the precise steps to get started in the triathlon we’re reviewing now.
Swimming, cycling and running are the 3 sports that form a triathlon event. Getting a good brand on each and every one of them is essential to successfully overcome it. Speed, power and above all resistance… These are the goals of a triathlete who knows that in order to achieve them he will have to work very hard.
If you want to start in triathlon you must start aspiring to be able to fill a basic test, the least demanding, included in the sprint category. It consists of seven hundred and fifty metres of swimming, twenty kilometres of cycling and five kilometres on foot. Not bad as a first challenge. To face it, take a look at these tips for triathlon beginners.
How to start preparing for a triathlon from scratch
Calculate that in order to be prepared for a first test you will need to train between 2 and 3 months, always and at all times depending on the physical form you are starting from. A general medical examination is more than advisable bearing in mind the demand for this discipline. If in addition to this you have the advice of a personal trainer, you will find it easier to take the first steps in triathlon.
When starting to run and starting your preparation to run a triathlon for the first time, keep in mind that you will need to establish a detailed triathlon training plan is essential. The specialists recommend to start training each sport separately at least during the first 2 weeks. Do not try to make a complete “Ironman”, combining the 3, the first of the days. It is a question of planning the different sessions respecting the breaks between them. To begin with, 1 ? two weekly sessions focused on each and every one of the activities, is a convenient pace.
For example, this is a case of the training plan that you can continue to prepare for a triathlon from scratch:
- Monday: swimming (ten lengths with breaks).
- Tuesday: active rest, with a fast-paced crossing.
- Wednesday: bike on plane at least thirty minutes.
- Thursday: rest.
- Friday: running combining trot and some high intensity stretch.
- Saturday: rest.
- Sunday: the activity you prefer from 3 o’clock.
In the following weeks you will be able to start cross-training or combined training on 2 days: swimming + running (in the same morning), cycling + running … only in the last weeks you will be able to train the 3 sports in a row.
- Training with a heart rate monitor to monitor your heart rate is essential because it will help you adjust your training to your physical condition, always and in all circumstances safely for your health and without losing sight of the goal of thriving performance.
- As you progress in your physical condition, increase minutes in each of the sessions progressively (ten percent auxiliary each time).
- When the moment of your first triathlon initiation test approaches, it is essential that you include and practice the changes between one activity and another as part of your own training. Every second counts and the transition from one sport to another has its complication.
- If you are going to start triathlon running, you must learn to supervise your breathing as an efficient procedure to have more endurance and not fatigue.
- The work of strength and power in the gym always and in all circumstances is a good complement when you start as a triathlete.
Practical tips for starting triathlon training
The basis to start training for a triathlon and achieve the goal is to be constant in your training, but apart from the sport itself, keep in mind 3 important aspects:
- You’ll need the right equipment and material: bike, glasses, maybe a neoprene, ultra-light shoes, etc.
- Watch your diet. A nutrition that provides you with each and every one of the nutrients you need, in the right proportion, is your best ally.
- Prepare yourself psychologically. A triathlon test is a challenge and it is essential to locate motivation. Prepare yourself for your “premiere” with enthusiasm, but knowing that it’s all about having a good time, practicing a complete sport, while trying to get better. Getting your first triathlon completed the first time is not always and at all times easy. Stop worrying, there’s gonna be a second one.