Content of the Article
The transfer of runners from the asphalt to the mountain has been relentless for a few years now. More and more enthusiasts are deciding to make the leap to trail running races, primarily attracted by the atmosphere and the demands of this kind of competition.
Although at first glance there are not many differences between mountain and asphalt races, while in both races it is a question of running, for reasons of comfort, but above all of safety, it is going to be necessary to use a unique trail material. Discover now the necessary equipment to run on the mountain whenever you want.
What equipment do I need for trail running?
If you like running you plan to go into the planet of the trail, you will find it very interesting to know the convenient equipment for running in the mountains, as we will reveal below:
If you are going to start running in the mountains, you must know that you have to wear suitable shoes that adapt to the different conditions you will find in the mountains. In contrast to the usual running shoes, the trail shoes have greater protection against impact, apart from a more jammed sole to ensure a better grip on the footprints, among other things.
When it comes to selecting trail running shoes, think about the type of surface you'll be running on. If you decide to bet on asphalt shoes, your feet will most likely suffer and your shoes will be damaged as a result of the demands of the terrain.
In the mountains, abrupt temperature changes are generated in a matter of minutes, being able to pass from heat to cold or rain without us hardly realizing it. For this reason, it is advisable to wear a waterproof jacket both in the sessions in the mountains and in competitions, where they are usually mandatory for safety in long-distance events.
When choosing the most recommendable garment you should consider 2 aspects such as waterproofing and perspiration. A good jacket for trail running prevents the entry of water from the outside, but also leaves sweat from the inside. This is an investment that you should examine in detail, especially for its cost, which is between one hundred and one hundred and one hundred and fifty euros.
Although it may sound like bullshit, they perform an essential task and are a precise accessory for running in the mountains. In the colder months they help to protect themselves from low temperatures, while in summer their function is quite different. They ensure that our legs are not damaged by the friction of the flora that blooms in the mountains. Choose from short, long or pirate tights. For muscle restoration after training, the compression muscles, which are best suited to the body, are also used.
Most likely, a mountain race or trail running training involves spending multiple hours in nature. For this it will be necessary to carry a backpack where food, drinks and other items are transported. Choose one with the convenient capacity depending on how long you are going to be running. A small model can be suitable for sessions of up to 2 hours, while for longer mountain races we recommend one with ten or twelve litres of load.
This kind of garment is widely used by trail runners, especially for its usefulness. The same may be true for the head, neck, ears or as a wristband for sweating.
Basic Tips for Running a Trail
Before jumping into the mountains, you should consider a number of recommendations for trail running to make your experience as a trail runner as satisfying as possible.
- In progression: it is advisable to start little by little. In the first few sessions, you should select a route that is not too technical and with a rather short distance. Try to strengthen your ankles to run, as the instability of the terrain causes more dislocations and injuries.
- Preparing the descents: descents in mountain races require a certain technique. The most important thing is to relax and enjoy the sensations. Make sure that the stride is not too long so as not to punish the quadriceps.
- The climbs: it is essential to be aware to train on slopes. As complicated as it may seem, you can always and always adjust the pace to the mountain conditions. It is advisable to take short strides, with knees up and chest facing outward so that it costs less.
- The role of the arms: you will get a simpler climb if you swing the upper body.
- Option to walk: you must propose to walk up when the terrain demands it and advance as fast as running. Lean on your knees with your hands and move forward.