What is the high-calorie diet for athletes?
If your goal is to increase muscle mass to gain strength and power in the practice of physical exercise you do, nutrition and training are the keys to achieving it. Discover how to make a high-calorie diet for athletes that becomes your best ally.
His name makes it clear. A high-calorie diet is one that involves ingesting more calories than your body needs to perform its vital functions. Their objective is always and at all times the same: to achieve a positive energy balance, which allows you to have more energy than you really spend on your daily activity… why exactly?.. so that your muscles are “surplus” and have the nutrients necessary for their development and never have to resort to their energy reserves (glycogen).
How to make a high-calorie diet for athletes
It may seem very simple but it is not and if you resolve to do it, having the advice of a nutritionist is more than advisable. Increasing calorie intake is easier to do in a healthier way, not so much. A high-calorie diet for sportsmen and women does not consist of eating all kinds of foodstuffs in excessive quantities.
Keep in mind that your goal is to build muscle and then define it. If the diet is not the right one, you may gain pound (and fat) nonsense, kilograms of which, then, you will find it really difficult to get rid of. The keys to a high calorie diet to gain muscle conveniently and healthily are:
It is basic in order that the hypercaloric diet fulfills its objective and does not bring more inconveniences than advantages. You must know your basal metabolic rate, that is, the minimum amount of heat intake your body needs in order to perform your vital functions. In each and every person is different (one thousand five hundred ? two.500 kcl.). A high-calorie diet for sportsmen and women, always and in all circumstances, implies incorporating into that quantity an extra number of calories every day that fluctuate between four hundred and five hundred.
2. Have a minimum of five meals a day
And if it’s six, so much the better. Those extra calories should be distributed throughout the day. It is not a question of binge eating at noon or at dinner, but rather of distributing them over the different meals so that, in this way, the organism always and at all times has “available” energy.
3. The 3 sets of macro nutrients
The high-calorie diet for athletes must be as balanced as any other specific nutrition plan. The intake of carbohydrates, the primary source from which we obtain our energy, should be increased by at least ten percent, preferably opting for carbohydrates of slow absorption. The quality protein, which acts as a reconstituent of muscle fibers, is another essential nutrient and must be present in a proportion between 1 and 1 with five grams per kilo of anatomical weight. Fats, always and at all times healthy (unsaturated), should not be excluded in order to contribute to a perfect development of the sporting activity.
Without precise hydration and enough liquids, especially water, it is impossible to gain volume in our muscles, so their intake (water, juices, infusions …) is an essential part of any high-calorie diet for athletes.
What foods to include in a healthy high-calorie diet
If you want to increase your calorific intake so that the food you take will help you increase your muscle mass, certain things you should include in your high calorie diet are:
- Cereals. Direct source of energy as they provide carbohydrates of slow absorption. A bowl of milk with oat flakes at breakfast, rice or pasta in the food, or a good toast of wholemeal bread at mid-morning are good suggestions to keep in mind.
- Eggs. Scrambled, in tortillas or cooked, they are a great source of high quality protein.
- Salads with something else. Fiber, minerals, vitamins … gain nutrients for your muscles with just the right fats. A good idea is to add to salads some plus in the form of chopped avocado, portions of cheese, nuts… Alíñalas, in addition to this, with olive oil.
- Lean meats. Don’t abuse fats but don’t exclude them either: veal, chicken, rabbit, turkey? they can’t be missing from your menus.
- Fish. Protein and also healthy fatty acids… Perfect in a diet that aims to build muscle in a healthy way.
- Dairy. Especially cheeses are essential in a high-calorie diet that assists you in achieving your goals as an athlete.
Before starting a high-calorie diet, it is essential that you consult with your doctor or nutriconist and that you adapt your training to this type of nutrition.